[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) the Guyra non-meteorite

The Guyra event was not caused by a meteoroidal meteor.
See METEORITE
 www.meteor.co.nz ), Febr. 2001, p.7, and for some more details:
www.geocities.com/olkhov/gr1997.htm

Best wishes,
Andrei Ol'khovatov
Russia, Moscow

-----àÒiÓ‰ÌÓ ÒÓÓ·*ÂÌËÂ-----
éÚ: Rob McNaught <rmn@aaocbn.aaodot gov.AU>
äÓÏÛ: meteorobs@atmob.org <meteorobs@atmob.org>
ÑýÚý: 26 Ë*Îþ 2001 „. 11:58
íÂÏý: Re: (meteorobs) flaming meteors

On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, Stuart Saunders wrote:

>    By way of example, the Guyra (Australia) meteor last year as well as
the
> Peekskill meteor both struck the ground at quite an angle. I didn't see
any
> photos of the Guyra ground impact, but from the photo of the car struck by
> the Peekskill meteor I would estimate the angle of impact at less than 30*
> to the ground.

My feeling was there was little evidence to associate
any fireball to
the events in Guyra.  The whole event was such a beat
up it became difficult
to get any sense out of it once the $$ signs appeared
in people's eyes.

Cheers, Rob