[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Minimum mass to retain "celestial" velocity?

Tom, this is an acceptable forum on which to discuss your question: it is,
after all, really a quite complex question about the physics of *meteors*,
and that's near and dear to all our hearts. So first off, I wanted to say,
"THANK YOU" for posting your queries...

I have no answer to the basic question, which I would phrase as: "Under a
given set of assumptions, what's the smallest mass that a particle could
have, to still retain sufficient velocity throughout an atmospheric entry
to be generating substantial heat at surface impact?" Catchy, I know. :)

But perhaps others can provide you with some references on the topic (or
if no references are available, then this is one of the forums where you
are most likely to find that out quickly!)

Clear skies,
Lew Gramer