[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Request re: disgruntled Brazilian meteor observer??

The 'meteorobs' Web site has received roughly 100 bogus subscription requests
in the recent past, all with the alias "John Holmes" attached to them and all
for individuals who do NOT wish to subscribe to 'meteorobs'. So far as I can
tell, most or all of these email addresses are in Brazil, interestingly.

I've ignored these bogus sign-ups, as our server now sends email to all new
subscribers, asking them to CONFIRM their requests: this tends to screen out
such bogus requests very easily. However, I thought it worth a short note to
the whole list, to perhaps find out who this person might be? Does anyone on
'meteorobs' have any thoughts? Maybe you know a meteor observer who has been
kicked out of a Brazilian observing group in the past, and may be unbalanced
or immature enough to try such a sad, futile gesture as this because of it?

(I think this person WANTS to be identified - otherwise, why would they use
the same "name" on each bogus subscription attempt?)

Anyway, as I say, it is not an urgent request: these requests are daily now,
and are never more than a minor annoyance. But email me privately if you may
be able to help. And in any case, my apologies for the off-topic post. :)

Clear skies around the globe - or rain, if you need it!

Lew Gramer <owner-meteorobs@atmob.org>