[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Sonic Boom Map Posted

For those interested,

I have posted a map, based upon 33 reports received by the AMS, of the
locations in north-central Pennsylvania and southern New York where a loud
series of sonic booms were heard in relation to the July 23, 2001 early
evening fireball.  Numbers on the map indicate a *very* approximate
time  intervals between the sighting of the fireball and the arrival the
sonic booms, as reported by the observer.  The sonic booms are usually
reported as a group of three or four (with one or two of these very LOUD),
followed by a period of rolling thunder-like echoes.  SEveral reports were
received by folks who never even saw the fireball, but had their houses
"shaken" and "rattled" by the boom series.

We continue to work on gathering more detailed information from individual
eyewitnesses in the fireball area, with the hopes of gathering enough
detailed measurements to obtain a reasonably accurate trajectory for the
fireball.  My thanks to go Elton Jones and Wayne Hally for performing this
field work.

Best regards,

      Jim

James Richardson
Department of Planetary Sciences
Lunar and Planetary Laboratory
University of Arizona
Tucson, AZ  85721

LPL email:  jrich@lpl.arizonadot edu
LPL office:  (520) 621-6960
Home office:  (520) 877-2715 or 877-2555
Cell phone:  (520) 401-9095
Home page:  http://www.lpl.arizonadot edu/~jrich/

Operations Manager
American Meteor Society (AMS)