[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Hot Meteoroids and Scientific Reasoning

Personally I don't know anyone who denies the possibility of hot
meteorites and the eye-witness testimony seems clear-cut.  I thought the
issue was more one of whether freshly fallen meteorites can glow red hot or
start fires.  A meteorite could be too hot to handle but still not start a
fire for most materials it contacts.  (Yes, small asteroids could cause
fires thru the radiant energy in the fireball, but the discussion is about
"normal" meteorites with reports on the time scale of years or decades,
not the massive bodies with a time scale of centuries and easily
differentiated by the magnitude of the event.)

This has all been discussed several times before.

Robert H. McNaught
rmn@aaocbn.aaodot gov.au