[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Taiwan Leonid weather

To;
    Richard, and any others interested in coming to Taiwan for Leonids,

    I have now managed to get some data. I wanted cloud height data, which
seems to not be available. However the chance of cloud cover at Alishan
(preferred site # 1) is 40% at 9 pm, and 47% at 5 am.  These figures are
based on Nov. 2000 records.
    For Kenting, (The very southern tip of Taiwan) the figures are 52% at 9
pm, 60 % at 5 am.

    Providing one is mobile, and has access to the internet and the weather
bureaus web site, I would expect around a 65 to 75% chance of good viewing
conditions within reach. (Have a look at www.cwbdot gov.tw, > english >
satellite >Taiwan. If you click on a succession of 'times', then 'loop', you
can get a fair idea of the weather dynamics for this place.)

    There are quite a variety of locations, so if one location is not
suitable there is a reasonable chance that some other location/s will be
o.k. Best thing might be to go to Alishan, but be ready to move.

    I don't know what data you have from other locations. How does this
 compare?

    Sorry for the delay, caused by language barrier, typhoons, and just too
busy at my end.

    I hope this helps, and look forward to hearing from you.
    Stuart.