Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 16:55:45 EDT
From: Skywayinc@aol.com
Subject: Re: (meteorobs) Leonids latest?

KCStarguy@aol.com
writes:

<< what is the latest on the Leonids and what is predicted for a storm or
what?
 where are the predicted best places to be in US (west?). I am trying to
 decide whether to fly some place for a night. >>

It appears you have two options:

1) Go to some place in eastern Asia or western Australia, where dust trails
ejected from 55P/Tempel-Tuttle in 1699 and 1866 are expected to augment each
other and produce hourly rates of perhaps 5000 to 15000 per hour.  This very
high activity is expect to occur sometime between 17:30 and 18:30 UT on
November 18 (though in the above mentioned locales, west of the
International
Date Line, the calendar date is November 19).

2) Stay in North America where a 1767 dust trail is expected to interact
with
the Earth sometime between 10:00 and 10:30 UT on November 18.  We will not
hit this trail as directly as the 1699 and 1866 trails, so Americans may
have
to console themselves to a brief meteor outburst of "only" 2000 to 2500 per
hour.

These figures are based on the independent calculations of David Asher and
Rob McNaught and Esko Lyytinen and Tom Van Flandern.

- -- joe rao