[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) request for info -cook book approach for bolide orbital calculation

From: <chiayk@singnet.com.sg>
Subject: (meteorobs) request for info -cook book approach for bolide orbital
calculation

Hello again, yK:
    I have re-read your message and this is a follow up.  You state that you
would like to compute the "orbital elements" of a bolide.  The important
thing here, is you MUST know the velocity of the bolide with a high degree
of accuracy so photographic methods are a must to obtain this.  I can
recommend the following 'out of print' book.  Unfortunately it may be
difficult to find.  It has a chapter on calculating the Orbits of Meteoric
Bodies.

PHOTOGRAPHIC METHODS IN METEOR ASTRONOMY
By L. A. Katasev - Moscow 1957
Translated from Russian - Israel Program for Scientific Translations 1964
NASA TTF-142
OTS 64-11021

(It was available from the Office of Technical Services U.S. Department of
Commerce, Washington 25, D.C.  U.S.A.)      You could try a book search
service to find a copy or perhaps a good scientific library.  Also check the
Photographic Handbook from the I.M.O.  It may contain the information you
are looking for.

Ed Majden