[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) predictions for Perseids 2001?

Hello all,

Pardon the very basic question here. I've shot perhaps 200 frames during
both the Persieds and the Leonids over the past 5 years and have yet to
catch one meteor in any of those frames. I usually shoot 5-10 minute
exposures depending on seeing conditions.

I usually point the camera at 40-45 degrees "off axis" from the radiant, in
the case of the Perseids either at  an azimuth of about 75 degrees (ENE) or
300 degrees (NW) depending on light pollution at our observing sites.

Obviously this year's Perseids will be "polluted" by moonlight, dictating
shorter exposure times. I plan on 3  to 5 minute exposures depending on the
seeing conditions and will likely rent a 50mm/f1.2 as suggested  by Mike
Linnolt and 200 speed film.

So my question is...where to point the camera? I gather from some comments
here on the reflector that aiming to Polaris might be a good bet.

Am I right about on the "curve" having no "hits" in 200+ frames or am I
overlooking something else?

I'll have a new  tool in the "arsenal" this year...a tracking drive...my 35
mm cameras will be piggy-back on a new NexStar 8!

Sorry about the basic nature of my questions...but I'm hoping  to improve my
results this year.

Thanks,

Mark S. Williams
Elizabeth, IN