[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Leonids latest?

Jay Halfpenny asks:
>Leonids in November...? I thought the Leonids were a Summer phenomenon?

Hi, Jay! Your message bounced, because it was sent from an address different
from the one you subscribed with. This triggered our list's "spam" filters.

Anyway, here's an answer to Jay's question, in case we have other newcomers
who may be experiencing similar confusion. The *Perseids* are a meteor shower
which peaks in mid-August - 12 Aug this year. The *Leonids* on the other hand,
are a shower that peaks in mid-November instead - 17 and 18 Nov in 2001!

There are a couple of Web sites which I recommend very highly, if you are
interested in learning more FAST, about the various meteor showers...

Always a good first stop is the "North American Meteor Network" site:
    http://Web.InfoAvedot net/~meteorobs/
And especially:
    http://Web.InfoAvedot net/~meteorobs/guide.html
    http://Web.InfoAvedot net/~meteorobs/charts.html
    http://Web.InfoAvedot net/~meteorobs/2001targets.html

You might also have a look at the "info site" for the 'meteorobs' list:
    http://www.tiacdot net/users/lewkaren/meteorobs
And especially:
    http://www.tiacdot net/users/lewkaren/meteorobs/showers.html
    http://www.tiacdot net/users/lewkaren/meteorobs/storms.html

After you have browsed the NAMN site thoroughly, and maybe asked a few
questions here on 'meteorobs' about what you have read there, you should
have no trouble gleaning useful information from these other sites:

    http://www.amsmeteors.org/lunsford/
    http://comets.amsmeteors.org/meteors/calendar.html
    http://www.amsmeteors.org/showers.html
    http://www.dmsweb.org/