[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: predictions for Perseids 2001?

Mike,

Thanks for taking the time to thoroughly respond to my message. I guess
my being spoiled by transparent western skies is showing. I still don't
agree 100 percent that one should look straight up for any shower unless
the lower portion of the sky is grossly hazy or light polluted. But
that's OK as differing views offer the readers some insight into this
interesting aspect of observing. I readily concede that I am outgunned
by your mathematic prowess yet I am not totally unarmed as I have the
experience of 35 years of meteor observing behind me.

I never meant for observers to look so low in the sky that the lower
portion of their field of view is wasted by viewing the ground.
Personally I want the bottom of my field of view to be just above the
horizon I am facing so I usually look at an elevation of 60-70 degrees
depending on the terrain on the horizon I am facing. To achieve the same
parameter a camera would probably be tilted 30-40 degrees high depending
on the lens.

I find that the atmospheric extinction at my observing sites is quite
low. Canopus rises only 5 degrees high here yet usually equals Rigel in
brightness. The stated extinction at 5 degrees elevation is 2-3
magnitudes (off the top of my head) yet the difference in magnitude
between these two stars is only 0.75 magnitudes.

I guess the bottom line is that it all depends where you are located and
the current local atmospheric transparency as to how high one should
look and photograph in the sky.

Clear and Transparent Skies!

Robert Lunsford