[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Fireball? (Marshfield MA USA, 23:00? Local time 25 July 2001)

Larry Murphy wrote in a message posted by Lew Gramer
> I was curious if
>you knew if this was something specific or just a normal occurance.
>perhaps a falling satellite? I've certainly observed the skys before and
>never witnessed such a sight. Any info or insight you provide would be
>helpful. If you have a suggestion as to where I might better direct my
>question I'd appreciate that as well. Thanks in advance for any info you can
>provide.
It certainly wasnt a satellite re-entry. These take a lot longer than 5 seconds
of course. The only re-entry on July 25(UT) was STS-104 and that wouldnt have
been visible from Massachussets, apart from time considerations. I have sent
a longer separate note to Larry. Can I use this opportunity to reiterate
that satellite re-entries are far less common than bright fireballs, something
most people dont realize.
Tony Beresford