[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: [leo2001] Re: (meteorobs) Leonid rate predictor URL

On Wed, 8 Aug 2001, Daniel Fischer wrote (to leo2001@yahoogroups.com)

> P.S.: Here's yet another intriguing item from the conference. A group
> of Japanese amateurs has seen a dozen or so daylight meteors during
> the Leonids storm peak of 1999 - and, assuming a limiting magnitude of
> -4, calculated a ZHR of 4000. Now they call for an international
> campaign to go after the 2001 Leonids in daytime - see
> www.nms.gr.jp/research/dayobs for a rudimentary website on that.

This web page mentions video observations of night time showers, during day.
I assume there would be no problem setting up MetRec (automatic meteor
detection from video) during the night and let it run throughout the
day.  It would detect daylight fireballs, do the astrometry, and correctly
attribute to known showers.  The assumption here, of course, is that the
video system has automatic gain and that the Sun doesn't pass through the
field!  There would likely be problems with birds, aircraft, pollen etc.
It might also be interesting to detect some of the daytime meteor
showers, like the beta Taurids.

Cheers, Rob