[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Leonids 2000 with a mini DV digital camcorder

Hello friends !

I just finished to process the video tapes recorded last november during the
leonid night.
The results were well above all expectations so I thought someone could be
interested to learn about it, that's why I will try to share this results
with you despite my bad english.
More, it could be interesting to try something better this week for the
Perseid show.

The camcorder was a minidv Sony TRV6. I used it for an hour with
"nightshot", and for a second hour with "supernightshot".
On the first tape I can see stars down to mag +0.5 and 9 leonids were
recorded during about 60 minutes.
On the second tape, one can see stars down to mag +4.5 on the raw images,
and down to mag +6.5 to 7 after compositing 100 images. On this tape one can
see 21 leonids in about 64 minutes.
I tried to composit all the leonids wieved on a tape on 2 single images (one
per tape, because the field was not exactly the same). The result seem very
impressive to me, with a so poor videocamera I mean ...

Is it possible to derive ZHR with that sort of data ?
On the first tape, the radiant was about 50° in the middle of the sequence
at about 03:20 UT. On the second tape, there was some interruptions, but
there was a sequence of 40 minutes around 04:20 UT with 12 leonids recorded,
with the radiant about 60° hight. In all cases, the field included the upper
part of Orion to Auriga, and down to Aldebaran and Jupiter.
Unfortunately it was impossible for Sirko to perform any analyse with
MetRec, cause in "supernightshot" mode, the camcorder recorded only 3
images/seconde.

I put a big webpage on my personnal web site ; if you want to have a look at
the results ... (450 Ko with 2 animated GIF and a lot of images)
http://www.astrosurf.com/carnets-astronome
Please follow the link :

7 août 2001 : Léonides 2000, des étoiles filantes au camescope !

Just under the word "Nouveau".
But you can find it in the leonid section too.
The full text is in french but I think, images are speaking by themself !
If someone is interested, I can explain more.

Christophe