[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Local newspaper article about Perseids

The Austin, Texas, American-Statesman today has a nice article
about the Perseids (visual and radio observing):

 http://www.austin360.com/statesman/editions/saturday/metro_state_2.html

I hope it's not too awfully gauche to refer to an article in which
I'm quoted.  A sidebar has the link to the IMO mirror site.

When I went looking for the Perseids the first time, in the early
1990's, about all I knew was what I had read in the popular media.
I went out into the country and started looking at 9:00 p.m. local
time (before astronomical twilight even!), not having any idea
that I was starting really much too early!  Nevertheless, I began
seeing meteors right away, and now I know that at least a few of
them in the first hour, the ones that crossed most of the sky (!),
were of course earth-grazers.  A group of us will be hoping to see
some tonight; the weather looks to be fairly promising.

Ed Cannon - ecannon@mail.utexasdot edu - Austin, Texas, USA