[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Saw a clustering of Perseids!!!!!

Pierre:

This sounds like an event that a number of us witnessed from Central Oregon during the 1999 Leonids. This was a cluster of at least 5 Leonids, traveling in perfectly parallel paths.  However, they were not *perfectly* simultaneous. The two brightest ones led the others by a bit (time sort of stopped during this for me, so I'm not quite sure by how much). My impression was of several bright meteors, visible at the same time, riding golden trains. The brightest one had a terminal burst of magnitude -10 to -12 and left a train visible for 50 minutes.  The others I estimated at -3, -1, 0, and +1.  There was also a sixth, fainter one that appeared a second or so later in the same area of the sky. My impression was that this event was very similar to the 1997 video. If Dustin Brown or other Oregon/Washington observers are around, they might add their comments.

An area artist/astrophotographer apparently caught this on film, and I was supposed to purchase a print, but I haven't yet made connections.

--
Wes Stone
http://skytour.homestead.com

http://www.shopping.altavista.com