[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: (meteorobs) Re: is this good timing?

It is a small number, but not quite this small... Radar measurements for the
1966 Leonids
put the maximum flux at about 50 Leonids per km^2 down to a (visual)
magnitude of 6.5.
ZHR then was in the 100,000-150,000 range.

JSC does all the safety calcs with regard to Meteorids and orbital debris -
The general
rule is that if an enhancement of the debris or meteoroid background results
in a 1
in 700 risk to vehicle or, more importantly, astronauts on EVA, they don't
fly.

Bill