[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Perseid max from eastern Ontario...

Just a short note to say I had a good run for observing the peak
night of Perseids (Aug 11/12) with mostly clear skies from eastern
Ontario...

Nothing unsual seen last night.

Echoing Norman's report, I also found Perseids rates a bit below
expectations. There seemed to be lots of faint meteors, and the
bright Moon seemed to affect the shower significantly despite
transparent 6th magnitude skies. There were few fireballs (best were
mag -3). A common thing was long lulls of inactivity followed by a
few quick bursts. It was definitely not a dramatic increase in rates
such as the morning of August 12 1997 when my last hour before dawn
under dark skies had 121 Perseids, including several fireballs.

Tape will be decoded later today, after I catch up on sleep.

Weather is looking good again tonight (August 12/13), so I'm planing
another full night of observing under a dark sky to see what happens.
My guess is that if the exact peak time happens during my daylight,
then meteors should be at least as plentiful again tonight.

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario