[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) cluster

----- Original Message -----
From: "Pierre Martin" <p.martin@cyberusdot ca>

> So maybe this was indeed a meteoroid that broke up in pieces before
> it entered the atmosphere? Anybody else on meteorobs ever seen
> anything like this?

Hi Pierre,

I've seen this a couple of times over the past 12 years: 1999 and 2000
Leonids, and I vaguely remember once or twice with Perseids. This indeed is
probably related to fragmentation of incoming meteoroids. My most peculiar
event of this type was however on October 14 of 1994, when I saw 3 very slow
meteors appear almost simultaniously (in the sense that they were that close
to each other in time that at a moment they weer visible all 3
simultaniously, so with only fractions of a second inbetween the moments
they first appeared) from a radiant in eastern Pegasus.

Marco