[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Perseids from the Sierra Nevada Mts.

Howdy meteor folks,

It's been a year in between posts for me (last year's
Perseids and Aurora from Lake Michigan in Indiana...my
wife and I since lived for 10 months in the mts. of
North Carolina, and are now innkeeping at a B and B in
the Sierra Nevada Mts of northern CA...Bob, I'm a
Californian now!).

I'll be brief now, more detailed later...

My wife and I observed for 2.83 hours this mornnig
(Aug 11/12), from 8:50 to 11:40UT (1:50 to 4:40 local)
and were very happy with the display. In spite of the
moon behind us, and a couple o' tall conifers in the
direction we faced, we (I, acutally...she saw a half
dozen or so each hour I missed) tallied 104 Perseids
plus a handful of odds and ends (mostly Aquarids).

I think Bob Lunsford mentioned his dominant color as
being orange...for us,
52% were yellow
36% white
6% blue
5% orange
1% green

19 Perseids displayed trains, 1 of which lasted 15
seconds, 2 at 10 seconds, 8 at 5 seconds and the rest
at about 2 seconds.

What was outrageous for us were the average magnitudes
for each period (two 1 hour periods and the final 50
minutes before the clouds suddenly gulped down the
stars). We had many fireballs so...

The avg mag for the period beginning at 8:50ut was
+0.83
for the period beginning at 9:50ut it was +1.10
and for the period beginning at 10:50ut it
was...gulp...-0.07!

during that period we had 1 at -6.0 (with the 15
second train and terminal burst)
2 at -5.0
1 at -4.0
3 at -3.0
and we had 17 Perseids in the 0.0 to -2.0 range

We seem to rarely have good luck around Perseid peak
time, and were thrilled with last night's display.
Another plus for what we've seen so far in these mts.
(rugged dramatic landscape, new butterflies, birds and
wildflowers...)

=====
Gregg, Innkeeper at Always Inn B and B, Soda Springs, CA
 Suite101 Contributing Editor - http://www.suite101.com
 my website, cobwebbed? http://pages.prodigy.com/daddy
- 30,000 visitors as of July 20, 2001!