[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) admin fwd from R&L Thompson" <rlthompson@thezonedot net>

From: "R&L Thompson" <rlthompson@thezonedot net>

For the first time since moving here I got out for the Perseid shower.  =
I wanted to shoot some photos of the Perseids using a variety of cameras =
and a barndoor tracking platform.

The barndoor tracking worked well, but I ran into the following problems =
that I'd like a little help with:

1) I lost some good shots because the camera objective dewed up.

2) Log keeping was done with a digital clock set to UTC, with the camera =
and exposure information logged into a paper log.  The problem I had =
with this system was that I left the log book open and paper became too =
damp to write on with a pencil, so I switched to a pen only to have the =
printing smear when I closed the log book.

3) Misc. and not so bright things: didn't bring anything warm to drink =
(the temp. fell to 14 C), and in this last week two of my three shutter =
release cables broke.

    I think I'll try a shroud around the lens to take care of item 1, =
but I'm open to suggestions.  And I'd like to hear some suggestions as =
to how to work with a written log (for photo work, I wasn't trying to do =
actual counts) when things get damp.

    FWIW, the Perseid shower was not as active as I'd hoped for.  We did =
have clear skies (after the moon rose of course), and were well away =
from city lights (I'm in  eastern - central Newfoundland) and watched =
from about 12:30 AM to about 4:20 AM local time (~ 03:00 til 06:50 UTC). =
 Activity appeared to be in short bursts.

        Ron Thompson (Gander, Newfoundland)