[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Observation report Aug 11/12

        As I stated in my post yesterday, I was unable to obtain little
more than an hour of useful observations for the Perseid peak, with
small puffy clouds moving through most of the night, a rising moon then
fog to top it all off in the last hour before dawn.  I had guests at my
site for the first hour and  I had wanted to wait until 1:00 to begin
the "serious" observations.  Thus I lost a hour of clear skies for
recording purposes, but did see about 13 Perseids and 4 SPO's between 12
and 1 local time.  Many were bright, including two that were at least
-3's.
        I faced north as there were low clouds in the south and trees to
the west for my official session which began at 1:00 AM local time and
ended an hour and ten minutes later when the skies became too
obstructed.  It was decent given that the radiant was not too high yet.
I had taken a nap earlier but was feeling quite fatigued by the time the
1st hour ended and the clouds began rolling through my FOV.  I took a
short nap and awoke with clouds and haze and moonlight, but enough sky
to allow for casual observations at best.  I continued to see meteors
all night but never more than 20/hr including the SPO's.  Below is my
one usable period.
        One aside:  I'm sorry I missed Bob Lunsford's radio interview
this weekend,  I heard he did a great job on the USA Network and the
Metrosource Network!!

OBSERVER:  Kim S. Youmans (YOUKI)  DATE:  08-11/12-01
BEGIN:04:50UT  END 6:00UT  LOCATION:  Treutlen Co, Ga.
82. 24' 25" W;  32. 24' 45" N
METHOD: Tape    Elev 240 ft
Facing South  1 period, sky 0% obscured, no breaks

Period 1  4:50 - 6:00UT  SPO(3)  PER(15)
Dead time = 1 min  Teff = 1.16

Avg LM = +6.02 Limiting Magnitudes
05:20 UT  (IMO 13) +6.29  (IMO 14) +6.39
05:40 UT  (IMO 13) +6.44  (IMO 14) +6.39

Center FOV (UT)
 5:25   19hr 45min       +45

Mag Distribution (UT)
4:50 -6:00
PER(15)     -4(1)  0(1)  +1(4)  +2(4)  +3(2) +4(2)  +5(1)
SPO(3)                                    +2(1)
+5(2)

At 5:47 UT, a -4 PER traveling with a 35 degree path and red + blue
color, 1.5 second train.