[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Perseid observations August 11/12 - narrative

Bob,

> I was also relieved to know that I was not the only one on earth seeing
> orange meteors that night!
Orange is usually the predominant color along with yellow, at least for
the Perseids. This year, however, there seemed to be more blue Perseids
than usual. I love those!

> Your conditions sounded brutal! It reminded me of the conditions in
> Spain for the 99 Leonids. Believe it or not I have experienced frost
> during the Perseids from "balmy" southern California. It was certainly
> not the case this year as the temperature was a perfect 21 C (69 F) to
> start and 19 C (67 F) and the end of the session. Now if we could only
> experience those conditions during the upcoming Leonids!
Indeed! As I haven't been at this location in the winter it makes me
wonder what the conditions will be like for the Geminids. Probably 2m of
snow and -30 C. As for usual conditions for Perseids in Slovenia, I agree
with Javor. In 1998 it was warm enough to observe in shorts, 2000 had mild
temperatures too, I didn't need a sleeping bag. 1999 and this year,
however, were sub zero (had frost on my sleeping bag in 1999 as well).
The cold really keeps you alert.

Clear skies!

Jure A.