[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Meteorite

Hello friends;

I have what has been identified as a meteorite. It was identified as such by Weber State University's geology dept., and by the Smithsonian Institute. An assay showed it to be primarily a nickel - iron alloy with several other metals in trace amounts. It is almost 100% metal. It is about half the size of a bowling ball and weighs about 26 lbs (bathroom scale). It is silver in color with only a very few, small rust spots. I have been in possession of it for over 10 years and had knowledge of the rock for 20 years prior to that. As far as I know it has never been cleaned. The rock is extremely hard, dense, and heavy. Hammers and files cant touch it and we nearly ruined a diamond blade to get a sample off of it.

Recently, I was approached by a person who had heard about it through a friend of a friend of a friend........, who wanted to purchase the rock from me.
I am not against selling it. However, I have no idea what it might be worth. Can you give me some idea of its value or at least a range? If not, could you direct me elsewhere?

e-mail     bcampbe@ws.state.ut.us