[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Talking clocks...

Greetings all,

Bob Young asked:
>Ladies & Gents:
>I've seen something here some time ago about "talking clocks".
>Does anybody have any info on what these are and where they
>can be obtained in the US?

The best source for 'talking clocks' seems to be the stores that carry
items specifically for the blind.  In Canada, this is the CNIB, Canadian
National Institute for the Blind.  Not sure what it would be called in the
US - but track them down.

The talking items for the blind have much better construction quality - and
much better speech audio quality than items in general stores.  They also
come in many various languages.

I have a large talking clock, which I now use just for home, and a slimline
clock that I put in a passport pouch around my neck for observing.  Both
speak the time by touching a large button.

For observing, look for something with:
- good sound quality
- the 24 hour system (many cheap clocks don't have that)
- preferably a high and low volume
- an easily replaceable battery (ie so that you don't need a screwdriver to
replace it), and a type of battery that you can easily find in a store (so
you can keep a replacement on hand)
- preferably a large button to press for the time.. so you are not fumbling
in the dark looking for a small button

The blind shops are great, and carry a wide selection of talking
items.  You can also get talking compasses, talking calculators, and other
neat stuff.

- Cathy Hall
   Ottawa, Canada