[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Professional responses (Daniel Fischercomments regarding Jenniskin)

> The recent attack on Daniel Fischer is a good example.

Don't worry, the only attack I felt after that stupid posting was one
of laughter - how could I take serious a conspiracy buff who has both
the 1st and 2nd name of Dan Goldin wrong ...?

There is a somewhat disturbing background nonetheless to the issue:
One reason why NASA people cannot put onto the web all they want when
they want is ... export control. The publication of scientific
findings is considered exporting knowledge, and given the current
paranoia in the U.S. in this respect (which is doing a lot of damage
to international scientific and technological cooperation), a paper
on Leonids (imagine: bullets with 71 km/s!!! :-) could sacrifice the
security of the United States.

Enough of that: Let's just hope that the scientific debate leading
up to this year's possible storm(s) continues unrestricted, and that
we'll all know where to go or fly when we have to buy the tickets.
The International Meteor Conference in Slovenia next month is an
important deadline in this respect: David Asher will give another
presentation there, less than 2 months before the event ...

Daniel