[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Do eyes work at all?

Chris,

I may be walking in without having seen your background work, but what you
are doing sounds very similar to the multi-observer, "whole-sky" visual
meteor work that the Canadians (at Spring Hill and other locations)
pioneered and developed for many years (50's, 60's, and 70's).  A summary
of their technique is contained in McKinley's "Meteor Science and
Engineering" (McGraw-Hill: 1961), and Cathy Hall (a member of this list) is
a veteran of their program from the 1970's.

 From what I remember from McKinley (my copy is at the office right now),
the numbers that you sight do not sound too far from the typical for this
group-counting method.  The important difference between what you are doing
and what is the norm today is that while you are trying to determine the
total number of meteors occurring per unit time in the entire "meteor
meniscus" visible from a particular location, most methods today look for
the number of meteors visible to a single 'standard' observer under
standard conditions (which will include only a fraction of the total
visible sky area).  Even in the single-observer method, it is somewhat
surprising how rapidly visible perception drops off with decreasing meteor
magnitude (the so-called Probability Function), with only the very
brightest meteors within one's field of view being "detected" all the time.

A breakdown of your group-count meteor rates by meteor magnitude class will
be a necessary next step in working with this method.  You might also give
the appropriate chapter in McKinley a read (especially with regard to the
derivation of their correction factors), as well as looking for copies of
the papers that McKinley references.

Best regards,

Jim Richardson

James Richardson