[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) coefficient of perception

Sky & Telescope Dec. 1968 pg. 376,377....
An excerpt from an acticle summarizing Opik's career and his contribution to the study of meteors

the coefficient p may be represented as a product of two factors, p=(chi)(pi)
the (chi) factor is the same for all observers and depends only on the apparent mag. of the meteor. It is unity (100%) for meteors of the 1st magnitude or brighter and drops to about 0.1 for 5th magnitude meteors.
The second factor is the location of the meteor in the observer's field of view. It decreases from 0.8-0.9 near the center to 0.2-0.5 at the boundary.

I dont think I have to embelish on Opik's reputation as a scientist. And I should state that this article is the sole source for my offering the information of the coeff. of perception (I dont have the experience of most observers who contribute here) The only disputation I would offer to Robert is to offer some scientific evidence to support your position rather than supposition based on extensive experience. At least when it comes contradicting someone who has gone to that effort (Opik).
Without this information from the article, I would accept your comment without reservation.
Tom