[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: meteor photo ?

>   I concur with Bob Lunsford... what it looks like is obviously not a
meteor
> PER SE, but the lingering persistant train (smoke trail) of a
> fireball/bolide... like Bob indicated, wakes and trains are usually always
> linear, but, if they persist, the train is subjected to the
> winds/turbulances of the atmosphere.. creating a smoky snake-like
> trail.  Thats what I think your pic may be showing.  Upon first
> viewing yer pic, I was immediately reminded of the 20-30 minute long
> persistant trains many of us were fortunate to see during that Great
Leonid
> Fireball Fest several years ago.

Hi all,

I agree with you Joseph. You're perfectly right.
I just have to say that in the 12-13 august night I saw a persistant perseid
trail, lasting for about 7 minutes to the naked eye and up to 12 minutes
using 11X70 binocular. The shape of this trail was almost exactly the same
than the one photographied by Ron. It had a banana (or smile) shape 6 to 8°
long and 2° hight. The trail of that perseid was right but the remanence
took the banana shape about one to 2 minutes after the bolide disappeared.
Furthermore, I remember that during 1999 Leonid storm over Europe I saw many
bolids just above the horizon and many of them had a curious trajectory,
sometimes broken, sometimes "zig zag". Refraction and turbulence could do
some tricks in this cases ... ?

Christophe