[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Meteors S FL USA, GRALE, 11/12 Aug 2001

Last night in Florida's Keys was one of those times that can try a meteor watcher's dedication to recording...

Advancing phalanxes of cirrus clouds, "noseeums", moonlight, scud clouds, and (generally) light mosquitoes detracted from an otherwise enjoyable Perseid "max". And unlike last night (and maybe because more of my session was brightly moonlit tonight), PERs were on good behavior. They now provided plenty of brighties, including one each of mags -1, -2, -3, and the highlight of the night, a blue white -4 with 14 sec train! :)

Strange to watch meteors in this normally dark place with so much moonlight: actually being able to see the sea, critters, plants and other surroundings gave me the weird impression of meteor watching in broad daylight...

0436-0823UT 11/12 Aug 2001
GRALE, Long Key FL USA
Teff=3.03, LM=6.4, F=1.1
Total 93 meteors: 53 PERs, 29 Spor, 4 NDA,
2 SDA, 2 CAP, 1 NIA, 1 SIA, 1 PAU, 0 KCG

Observing with me on this hard but satisfying night was Jeff Wilson of Broward County, who did the long drive down just to record the show from the Keys. Jeff will report his counts under separate cover later.

Sunday's (12/13) observing may be very exciting... Did we see the peak last night, or will the brightening trend continue, but give us yet higher rates? Let's all hope for clear(er) skies tonight!

Lew Gramer