[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Indirect observing methods for 2001's Leonids ...

Hi all !

Just could find something for one method. Tell me if i'm wrong...

> Gegenshein and zodiacal light :
> As we know, gegenshein is well located enough in the sky in november every
> year to be easily seen from dark sites. Maybe this year the gegenshein will
> be especially luminous the few night around the leonid pics.
> Furthermore, as the Earth will be deep plunged into the leonid trails, the
> zodiacal light could be brightest than usual for a few hours as seen from
> north of Africa or western Europe just after moon has set ...
> Maybe could this dust be detected in infrared from some high locations ...

For this, I don't think it could be made. As I know, gegenschein and zodiacal
light are produced by ecliptical dust orbiting around the Sun. The dust trails
let by Tempel-Tuttle aren't part of this ecliptical dust, because the orbit of
the comet is making an angle of  162° with the ecliptic...

Clear skies !

Karl.

P.S : We spoke about shoestring to trace meteors back. I tried this method
during the Perseids : it works pretty well ! I encouraged all people who can to
try this ! Very easy moreother !

Follow-Ups: References: