[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: coeff.

Tom,

It all depends on your limiting magnitude as to how many 5th magnitude
meteors you will miss. If in fact you watch with skies of LM less than
6.0, as most of us have to endure, then your statement would be true. It
is difficult to see a 5th magnitude stationary object under such
conditions. To try to catch one that lasts less than one half second and
is moving rapidly is even more challenging!

If one's LM were closer to 7.0 then the ratio proposed by Opik is closer
to current reality. Speaking of Opik, I certainly meant no disrespect in
my last message. He is ranks right up there with Denning and Hoffmeister
as one of the great pioneer meteor observers.

Best Wishes!

Bob Lunsford

> Tom Fleming wrote:
>
> Thanks Malcom for the clarification. I know Opik's work is quite old
> and I looked forward hearing about those who have followed and
> improved on his work.
>
> I usually see one or two 5th magnitude meteors per hour under good
> conditions in the center 5 to 10 degrees of view during one hour of
> teff. Should I conclude that there have been over a hundred others
> that I have missed within the range of my field of view?
>
> Tom

Follow-Ups: References: