[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Meteors S FL USA, GRALE, 10/11 Aug 2001

On 17 Aug 2001, at 13:46, lew gramer wrote:

> 03:11-04:16, LM 7.5+, Teff 1.0, CFV Delphinus
> Spor 12, PER 12, SDA 2, NDA 2, CAP 2, PAU 2, SIA 1?, KCG 1, tot 34
>
> 04:33-05:10, LM 7.07, Teff 0.6, CFV Aql
> Spor 7, PER 5, SDA 1, NDA 1, CAP 2, PAU 1, tot 17

Lew,
Are you serious? LM >7.5 and >7.0 in Moonlight??? Ok, maybe
Long Key is a fine dark site, but I was observing 3km higher in the
atmosphere than you were at one of the better spots in the world,
and my best LM was 6.7, dropping to 6.2 in moonlight. Given a few
tenths extra atmospheric absorption at your sea level location and
higher humidity, that implies an equivalent LM~8.0 from Haleakala?

Yet your SPO counts, are not much higher than mine, especially if
you include Apex in them? Seems like a significant disparity here
between perception of meteors and fixed stars. Maybe getting a bit
overenthusiastic after months under the bright orange skies of
metro Boston??

Just a reality check, no offense intended, Lew.
Mike

Follow-Ups: References: