[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) technique

Really interesting responses regarding technique.
Let me expand a little on the 'fixed stare' a little. I have fixated on a non-star point in the sky - usually near a couple of 2nd mag. stars. After about a minute of time the stars become 'negatives' - it seems to enhance the visibility of the meteors that flash into view. The slightest twitch however makes all of the stars in the field of view become apparant as they begin to pile photons on fresh retina.
I havent used this as a regular technique - rather as a curiosity.

I personally havent experience the soft diffuse meteors or have discounted them out of hand.
Since I typically am not doing 'scientific' observing, I will discuss meteors of a curious nature with a partner observing the same sky. This is where I gained experience about what really is a 5th mag meteor.
Tom