[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Bright Meteor

Hello All,

I'd like to report a very bright meteor just now at 20:58 PST local time 8/17/2001
(4:58 UTC 8/18?) travelling to the northeast.  It was yellowish in color and was
long in duration with several bright flashes visible along the way.  The arc was
approximately  45 degrees across the sky.  It was one of the more remarkable
meteors I have seen this year.

I am a rank amateur but I would estimate the brightness was much brighter than
Venus.

Jim Foster jfoster@adnc.com
Eastern San Diego County, Southern California, USA
32 deg 41.346 N
116 deg 45.357 W
2188 ft. elevation