[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Do eyes work at all?

Chris,

Interesting experiment! I feel the closer one views toward the radiant
the higher their shower perception will be. Therefore the group facing
southwest should have had the lowest perception while those facing north
should have had the highest. There is lots of activity seen in all
directions but those facing closer to the radiant can see shower meteors
diverge from the radiant over a larger angle than those facing the
opposite direction. In plain English that means someone facing north can
see Perseids heading up (south) left (west) and down (north). Those
facing south can only see Perseids that head south.

Chris, I as wondering if your resulting perception coefficients agree?
The group facing west certainly had low rates. The group facing
southwest should have done even worse.

Which directions were the two observers with the highest perception
coefficients facing? It should have been north or perhaps northwest.

It's also true that inexperienced observers will see less than a
experienced observer. This is easily seen with comparing ones data to
others for the same shower. Among long time IMO observers my perception
coefficient is very close to 1.00. If we compare my perception
coefficient to the new group of observers then it lies somewhere between
2.00 and 3.00.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. I'm certainly not all that
knowledgeable in the how's and why's of perception. This is just what I
have learned from experience.

Fascinating subject!

Bob Lunsford