[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Indirect observing methods for 2001's Leonids ...

Back in 1998 I gave predictions for the Leonids dust trail "glow".  It is
in the direction of the "true radiant", not the apparent radiant.  Don't have
any info close at hand.  Any glow is likely to be too faint to photograph
(I tried in 1998).  A Japanese group on Mauna Kea claimed success with CCD
obs, but the form of the glow seems unrealistic, unrelated to the geometry
and physical nature of dust trails.

As one gets further from the comet,
the individual dust trails seperate making the glow less well defined,
but the peak density of the dust trails does lag the comet.  To do
this properly, any attempt must have images on nights before and after
passage through the node and shift the field center during each night to
compensate for vignetting.  Flat-fielded CCD observations are more likely to
succeed than photographic.

Robert H. McNaught
rmn@aaocbn.aaodot gov.au

Follow-Ups: References: