[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) No Perseids for Greater NY area (again!)

Bob Lunsford wrote:
>I hope for Lew's sake that the clouds dissipate as evening
>arrives. If not I tell him how the view was from here.

Lord, I had to reread that, Bob: at first it seemed uncharacteristically smug
of you! Especially considering I had traveled down to S FL, and camped in the
heat and bugs, just to observe the PERs? Be careful of your karma, now... :)

Oh, well. In any case your hopes were fulfilled: I managed to get a pretty good
view of the Perseid max, though some cirrus did interfere. (In general, if any
one is interested, be careful when comparing Keys weather with that in the rest
of "mainland" S FL... They rarely experience the same patterns or flows.)

Not to say that my weather down in Long Key last week was PERFECT either, of
course! Unfortunately it sure was not, as my four (instead of seven) reports
from down there clearly show. Still, 6.4 hours of Teff during the three peak
nights is far better than 0.0 - which seemed the fate of many folks in E US?

(And BTW, I think that is what Wayne Hally was refering to: that he thought
our chances for clear skies might be the best on the *East Coast* - as they
in fact seemed to have been, more or less?)

PS: Mike Linnolt, thanks for the very thought-provoking (if rather zealously
stated) postings about LMs, humidity, etc. I'm not ignoring them! But coming
back from a week away, it may take a day or so for me to catch up on email.

Clear skies to all - and remember, the next 10 days or more are still "prime
time" for us meteor types, as the moon very gradually waxes from New. Don't
let "post-Perseid depression" get you down... Go out and observe! :)

Lew Gramer, back in Boston