[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Renko, Finland Bolide 24th Aug. at 2102 UT

Renko, Finland Bolide

Last night (24th August 2001) at 2102 UT I saw a bright bolide In RENKO,
FINLAND on the southern sky. The bolide was brighter (and bigger) than any
Iridium I have seen. So it was at least –8 mag., may be –10 mag or even
more. It lighted the darkened landscape. I was working with my astrophoto
tracking system and my faces were directed to North. So I noted it from my
back side! The bolide flew from left (appr. 23h, +10 degrees) to right
ending below app. 10 degrees below Altair (appr. 20h, -5 degrees). Late
Perseid or sporadic? The bolide lasted at least 4 seconds – so it was quite
slow. The same bolide was seen also in TURKU, FINLAND (appr. 150 km
West-SouthWest from Renko), but through the stratus clouds. My friend
thought in the beginning it was a lightning!

Timo Leponiemi
HYVINKÄÄ
FINLAND
fmbb@sci.fi