[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Unusual Leonid rates during the 'off' years?

About unusual Leonid activity, Jure recently wrote:

>>So if high dust concentrations exist relatively far from the comet, could
>high rates occur at any time (speaking for Leonids here). If I unsderstand
>right dist trails lag behind the comet with the lag being proportional to
>the time elapsed since the trail's formation. Have any unusual rates been
>observed during the 'off' years?

Although not a storm, a surprisingly active mini-outburst of Leonids occured
on the morning of November 17th, 1989. With twilight, strong moonlight, and
aurora in the sky (LM ~4.5), 10 relatively bright Leonids were seen from 10:00
to 10:40 UT. Unfortunetly, few observers were out, but this activity seen by
me in Greenbelt, Maryland was confirmed by Roger Venable in Georgia.

GWG