[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Chat Rooms

Bob,

I respect your right to your opinion and I agree on several of the
points you made. However I do not agree with your blanket interpretation
of chat rooms, especially the meteorobs chats. Certainly a majority of
them are a waste of time and even on meteorobs chats there are some
subjects not directly related to observing. On the other hand with the
meteor community so spread out over the world this is the only feasible
way for instant communication with instant questions and instant
answers. I was involved in setting up these chats and feel that it has
successfully brought the meteor watching community a little bit closer
together. Ask our friends in Slovenia, the Canary Islands, or New
Caledonia and I am sure they will agree the chats are worth their time,
even when they occur at 0400 in their particular area.

The usage of this tool has waxed an waned throughout the years but I
encourage any interested observers, especially with the upcoming Leonid
showers, to take advantage of the opportunity to converse with some of
the most experienced observers in the field. Ask those questions you are
too embarrassed to post in public!

I'm sorry the chat announcements are annoying but hitting the delete key
should not be much of an effort.

Respectfully Yours,

Robert Lunsford