[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Coming in November Sky & Telescope: "Is This the Leonids' Yea...

In regards to Lew Gramer's innocent remarkers about an upcoming Sky & Tel.
article on the 2001 Leonids, B. Yen wrote:

>The media is incapable of "translating" scientific journal articles, for
>layman-type stories.  They don't understand science, they are not
>scientists, they are journalists out to sell copy.

Sky and Telescope has made some mistakes, but I think they do a resonably
good job describing science to laymen and amateur astronomers. In fact, they
are the best astronomy magazine for laymen and amateur astronomers in the
USA. Astronomy magazine is also good, but they make more mistakes with their
science. BTW, several of the S&T staff writers also have degrees in astronomy.

>Anybody who takes S&T seriously, who subscribes [to] that magazine, has no
>semblance of scientific integrity (they are in some kind of "reality
>distortion field").

Well, you have just insulted about 100,000 subscribers of Sky and Telescope
who are scientists, amateur astronomers, nature lovers, and educators world
-wide.

Although I am really tempted, I will not call you any names, but say that I
disagree with you.

GWG