[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Coming in November Sky & Telescope: "Is This the Leonids' Year?"

Bob, in reference to your harsh comments on S&T's coverage, let me clue you
in on a theorem I developed many years ago:

For any sufficiently interesting scientific phenomenon, there exists no
explanation accurate enough to satisfy a working scientist, yet concise and
clear enough to be of any utility to a layman.

One result of this is:

The task of finding the optimal combination of accuracy and clarity for the
layman demands a tricky combination of skills in both science and rhetoric,
which combination neither scientists nor rhetoricians will respect, because
neither understands the requirements of the other.

Clear skies!

Chris