[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Coming in November Sky & Telescope: "Is This the Leonids' Yea...

(I realize that Lew wanted to put an end to this discussion, but I
would like to add something.)

I am away from my computer and the internet for nearly two weeks and
I come back to find arguments are brewing again. We have a wide range
of people who participate in this group and I would personally like
to keep it that way. So can we please refrain from the personal
attacks. The criticisms towards Sky and Telescope were a bit harsh
and it shouldn't have taken a rocket scientist to realize that one of
our own group members was probably the author of the Leonid article.
Have we stooped so low so that our attitudes are like those of a pack
of wild animals waiting to eat their young? I don't think so.

I was fortunate enough to have gotten a chance to read an earlier
version of this article back in June and I thought it was a very good
article. Although I don't work for a newspaper or magazine, my actual
degree is in journalism and I know that you have to simplify things
occasionally. When I was getting my degree we were told that we had
to write as if our readers had a sixth-grade education. Now I know
Sky and Telescope obviously aims higher than this, but they still
must assume that the minimum experience level of their readers is as
an interested amateur with no formal education in astronomy. Joe's
article does an excellent job of this and is still an enjoyable read
for those deeper into astronomy.

Now let's get back to that very good Leonid discussion that was going
on before this nonsense started.

Gary