[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Excerpts from "CCNet 96/2001 - 31 August 2001"

A disappointing issue - mostly meteorite related. The item about
the Colorado fireball was sadly confusing. It SEEMS to associate
our own Dr. Peter Brown, with the presumption that this fireball
actually dropped a meteorite over the region described. However,
a simple examination of the reports, such as when one witness is
quoted as saying he "watched the meteor until it disappeared some
where over the La Garita Mountains", seems to indicate that this
is yet another case of misunderstood eyewitness reports...

NOTE: For a discussion of why eyewitness reports like "I saw it
*land* just behind the mountains", do not generally seem to be
reliable for meteorite hunting, see our Web page on the subject:
        http://www.meteorobs.org/fireballs.html

Of course, I am no meteorite hunting expert - at all! And Dr.
Peter Brown may actually have informed local authorities *HE*
thinks a meteorite fall in their area was probable? (In which
case, Peter would certainly have good reason to think so.)

Anyway, it would be interesting to hear more about this event.

Clear skies!
Lew Gramer