[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Meteor Symbol

I believe that those symbols were not from the Greeks but rather from
astrologers of a much later period -- probably Renaissance or just after.
Inasmuch as meteors didn't have any astrological significance (or at least
they weren't used in any calculations), I wouldn't expect them to have any
symbology. It's sorta hard to be born under the sign of a meteor when the
process of birth lasts longer than the meteor itself. ;-)

Chris

> From: Robert Lunsford <lunro.imo.usa@home.com>
> Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 17:20:03 -0700
> To: Meteor List <meteorobs@atmob.org>
> Subject: (meteorobs) Meteor Symbol
>
> I received the following question and don't have an answer personally.
> Is there anyone who can shed some light on this subject? Yes, I know
> that there were no ancient symbols for Uranus, Neptune, Pluto and the
> asteroids.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Bob Lunsford
>
> Hello, I am a student in High school and my astronomy teacher recently
> gave us some extra credit homework.  One question he asked was whether
> the ancient greeks had a symbol for meteors and if they did what was it?
> I know they had symbols for all 9 planets, the asteroid belt, and for
> comets. Could you please tell me if there is a symbol for a meteor.  I
> would greatly appreciate it.
> To stop getting email from the 'meteorobs' list, use the Web form at:

Follow-Ups: References: