[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Meteor Symbol

My research into the history of comets and meteor showers has
actually revealed that meteors, as well as comets, held a place of
importance in the astrology of many cultures. They tended to
represent important short-term events. With meteors, the events were
frequently "linked" to the deaths of people--not necessarily
important people--as well as incidents of disease. The much longer
lasting comets were "linked" to the deaths of kings and emporers, as
well as wars and plagues.

Although I would tend to agree with Chris, that meteors would not
have a symbol, I would not want to bet any money on it. The fact that
this teacher offered extra credit makes me suspicious that it must
exist, although whether it is "official" of not is another question.
I do vaguely remember a comet symbol that I saw with the symbols of
the planets years ago. If a comet symbol exists, so might a meteor
symbol. There are symbols that were created for the earliest
discovered asteroids (I think the first four, as I have seen Ceres
and Vesta), and a symbol was created for Pluto during the 20th
century. The symbols for the planets are on Bill Arnett's Nine
Planets web site at http://www.nineplanets.org/.

Gary