[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Possible fireball east of Washington DC

Hi all;

I left for work this morning at 6:00 sharp under a clear dry sky only to
discover what must have been a fireball train being illuminated in twilight
low in the eastern sky ( I live 25 miles west of DC).  The train lasted
until 6:25 AM when the main knot was getting washed out by the brightening
sky.  At 6:00 the train had a z-shape in the center but mostly straight and
horizontal 8 degrees up from the horizon.  A fellow earlybird on his commute
in to work saw it approximately 5:45 as a straight line so he must have just
missed it.  Given the sun angle below the horizon I am fairly certain it was
not an aircraft contrail -it looked too much like many meteor trains I had
seen before. There were also no other clouds or contrails in the sky during
the entire event. My rough estimate would place it overhead for Annapolis
and the northern Chesapeake Bay area around 5:45 AM.

Pete Gural
Sterling, Va