[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) observing meteors from a ship

This may seem like a very strange question.  I was on
a oceanographic research cruise a few months ago and I
tried to observe meteors. I did not observe any
meteors in roughly 6 hours during my work breaks
during 3 days.  This was in late April/early May. It
was very dark (LM 6.5 to 7)since we were almost 100
miles out to sea (except for the lights of the boat).
We did experience quite a lot of up and down motion
from the waves. So my questions are Has anyone
observed from a ship? And what kind of correction
factors are used to make the adjust FOV for reporting
(due to up and down motion)?  I only bring this up
because it was mentioned a few weeks ago that in order
to observe twoof the predicted peaks of the Leonids
one would have to be in a ship off of Russia.  I was
just curious if observing for scientific purposes was
pratical from the deck of a shipor if anyone has tried
it.

Rob

Thanks Lew for sending that link to the SeeSat list, I
did not have access to my bookmarks at the time.