From: UserPcsn1123@cs.com
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 20:38:40 EDT
Subject: Fireball over Maryland
To: meteorobs@atmob.org

As I was driving to work this morning, at about 5:50, travelling southeast on
MD Rt 152 in Harford County, I saw the fireball travelling steadily from my
right to left, at first with a short tail resembling a comet (but moving too
fast) which then developed into a contrail-like train of great length.  I
observed some fragmentation of the fireball, and it eventually dimmed as it
proceeded into the brightening eastern sky.  The contrail continued to glow
brightly as long as I could see it, another minute or two before I had to
turn onto southbound I95 and  loose sight of it.
I'm not a regular meteor observer, and this was unlike anything I've ever
seen.  It moved so slowly compared to other meteor I've seen, and it was so
close you could see the swirling of the components of the contrail.  It was
really neat, plain and simple.  I saw the Space Shuttle fly past after lift
off on July 12, and that is what I thought this might have been, but there
was no launch today.
Phil

------- End of Forwarded Message